Mar 29, 2009

The Break is Up!

Back from a week long visit to home, and I realize that I am partly addicted to the Internet. Had decided not to log in to the net for the week, and by Wednesday, I was already itching to visit the cyber cafe.

Home is such a wonderful place. The place I stay in for the better part of the year, in Bombay, that is my house. Or, as some friends would say, just a room. Whatever. A house is a place with four walls, filled with nothingness. A home, is full of people you love (and more important, people who love you), warmth, mom's cooking and all the good things. Excuse me while I get all senti.

Anyways, the visit was fun. I don't usually like to post personal stuff (yeah, honestly), but since I am bubbling with an overdose of senti-ness, let me make an exception, and write about the home visit. If not for anything, atleast for me to re-read a month down the line and go all nostalgic.

Hogged like a greedy pig. I can already feel my trousers getting tighter. But then, I don't get carrot halwa, thenkozhal (murukku, or worse chakli, for the non-tams), elaiadai (I don't know what it is in English, it has jackfruit, it is sweet and it is heavenly), sevai, biriyani, vetthakozhambu etc every week. I know I missed some items from the weekly menu, but then mom doesnt read the blog so it's fine.

Slept like a log. Slept in the mornings. Slept post lunch. Slept at any time of the day. Except sandhi kaala velai (evening, when lamps are lit and prayers and stuff happen). That is still taboo at home.

Watched a lot of TV. For a guy who has managed to resist the temptations of the idiot box by not having one in the house, I think I managed to cram in a lot in one week. F.R.I.E.N.D.S., movies in HBO, a lion program in Nat Geo (or was it Discovery?), Vadivelu comedy in local cable channel, Villu in thiruttu CD (and the image of Khushboo dancing in the intro song still haunts me!!! shudder, Nayantara looks thin in comparison), Abhiyum Naanum courtesy a friend (Trisha is cute, but Asin rules)... I even watched re-run of KB's old serial called 'Engirundho vandhal' with my mom (and while we are at it, I have this massive crush on Kavya Shekar, the TV actress... nice eyes, dimpled cheeks, uff!)...

Watched cricket too. In fact, woke up at 5.30 am, hoping to see Sachin bat. Only to see the master edge a catch to slip just as I was putting on my glasses (yes the new one!). Slept again, woke up at 8, put on glasses, saw Yuvi fall for a duck. No, I am not to blame for India's bad showing in this test. Murphy is.

Met a few relatives. Old, retired with nothing-t0-do ones. Who started advising my mom to get me married off soon, since some cousin fell in love with and married some Punju ladki recently, and the said relatives were kinda aghast at that. Sigh. I still thank the God that I don't fully believe in, for giving me parents who are open-minded enough to tell me that they'd accept a bride from any region/caste. And also curse the said God for not making any gal, Punju or otherwise, fall for me. Maybe, it is His version of a silly joke. Whatever.

Played games on the comp. Conquered one more level of Commandos. Yeah, I know, I am so outdated.

Read novels. Read Tinkle. Loads of Tinkle actually. So much that the annoying crow outside my window reminds me of Kalia. Damn!

In short, had a blissful time.

Now I am back. In this big bad city. And I have to go for work tomorrow.

Sigh. Vacations are always shorter than you want them to be. Especially the home visits.
********************************************************************************
PS: The title is a not-so-clever play on the title of the previous post. Basically, I am too lazy to think up anything more imaginative.

7 comments:

  1. I think I can say, I do the same stuff when I go home.
    Replace the tinkle with archies and Commandos with CS!!
    I love the food too, especially when parapusali and morkozambhu is around.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kamal3:02 AM

    elaiadai... i dread that dish.... i still cant forget how i fell ill in mettupalayam after playing in the sun for hours.. then eating elai adai.. and then falling sick like hell before that doctor(dont remember his name but i remember he gives colourful pills) came to my rescue and i was cured in 3 days.

    i hate elaiadai :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Vivek:
    am sure most of us do the same... it's like the saying "you are unique, like everybody else" :)

    @ Anand:
    :o)

    @ Kamal:
    u dont hate playing in the sun? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2nd visit..does that make me a regular? :P

    and kavya shekar..really!!! i really did LOL on that one :)and fyi..nayantara lost all her weight thanks to liposuction :)

    glad u had a nice break!!

    ps- where is home exactly??singara chennai?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog and thanks for reminding me of my long-forgotten love 'murukkus'! Am on my way to get some...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ fiona:
    now that you are a regular, we'll do away with the 'princess' formality :P

    what's there to LOL about Kavya Shekar? she's really pretty!

    and nayantara looked thin only in comparison... liposuction notwithstanding...

    home is a beautiful place called Bhavani, with a nice temple on the banks of the Cauvery...

    @ scribbler:
    u r welcome... thank spiderman too for putting you on his blogroll :)

    ReplyDelete