Jul 21, 2008

1... 2... 3...

Tomorrow, we will know what happens to the Govt. and to the unclear deal...

but, looking at what has been happenning so far, I was just thinking...
1. The BJP is not opposed to the deal per se... but to some portion of the Hyde Act... and also that Congress could gain credit for the deal... so, once they are convinced that the Hyde Act could be negated (there was some talk of India's "Jekyll Act"), and that they can win next time round, they should not be opposing the deal...

2. The Left is not opposed to Congress per se... but to the nuclear deal... once they know that the deal will go thru no matter what, and there is a possibility that the BJP will form the next government, they'd rather support the lame Congress than the "communal" (in their words, not mine) BJP...

3. Manmohan is concerned about India's energy security (in his words, not mine) and not just political mileage... once he assures BJP that he can negate Hyde Act and raise the possibility of the BJP winning next time, he can get BJP to support the nuclear deal...

So, if I were Manmohan, and I had the nation's interest in mind, and not just my term as PM... and I was more concerned about going down in history as the man who signed the nuclear deal and not just remained as a lame duck PM, I would ask BJP to support me on the nuclear deal (with provision to enact an Jekyll Act) and then step down and offer the Govt to BJP...

So, Mr.PM, is it going to be power for India or power for yourself?
******************************************************************************

PS: I know I suck at interpreting politics, so people who jump and say "That's so naive"... hold it... I know! After all, democracy allows me to day dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment