Oct 28, 2006

Diwali, Daman and Daaru - II

Part II is gonna be like all sequels... far more boring than Part I... in fact, I wouldn't hv written this, except to complete the description of the trip... more for my own memories than for anything else...

So, here goes...

I and another friend decided that we would do something that we had not done for the past 1 ½ years after joining a b-school – watch a sunrise!!! So, we pushed ourselves to get up at 5.30, and walked down to the beach. And, what a glorious sunrise we saw… show me the hottest babe on earth and show me a beautiful sunrise… and I’ll pick the sunrise any day… (after all, who can be hotter than the sun???)… ok no more PJs…

We crossed the tiny stretch of the river by a 2 rupee ferry trip to land at Moti Daman fort… now, this one was much better than Nani Daman fort… but, it is still a huge building made of stones, and so not much to see there…

Well, it was Sunday morning, just after Diwali, and the entire town was deserted. So, we had a good time roaming around with not even a stray kutta to disturb us…

The town area was full of bungalows for Government ‘servants’ and a lot of Government buildings. Not much to see there.

Then, we proceed to Jampore beach… a 5 km ride by a rick… I thought I had seen the worst of auto rickshaws, but this one took the cake (and the icing and the entire damn bakery shop). There were EIGHT of us travelling in that rick, including the driver. If rick drivers were to ever become fund managers, this one would be the hedge fund investing in wine funds...

Jampore beach… now that is something else… it changed my perspective of Daman… from a dirty place for daaru seeking dudes to a more acceptable holiday spot… this beach was my kinda place… calm, serene, no pesky vendors with chilled beer, not even other tourists… and there were benches under trees put up by the Daman tourism board (or some such)… I sat down on one, and for the next 1 ½ hours listened to the silence of the place… absolutely amazing experience… now I know why our ancestors used to camp off to Himalayas to become sadhus… this kinda silence is hard to get in a city like Mumbai… after a refreshing 90 minutes, had to leave as the check out time for the hotel was nearing…

Now I know what I am gonna do when I retire… buy a small house on the beach… put up a hammock, get some good books and just chill…

So, back from Jampore to hotel… check out… back to station… back to boring Mumbai and usual routine… with memories of a trip that was good, bad and ugly to say the least…

No comments:

Post a Comment